Quantcast

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Postcrossing

After being inspired by my blogging friend Felicia from Open Up The Sky, I joined Postcrossing as a part of my 101+1 in 1,001 list.  It's a site that connects people from around the world through sending postcards.  I want to copy her in one more way and show you here on the blog the postcards I've gotten!  It's pretty cool.

This one came from Decatur, Alabama.

 
 "Snowy and frozy greetings from eastern Findland."
Also, She wrote Tloista keraan odotusta Suomesta toivoo Sari.
Not knowing Finnish, I fed this to the translator in iGoogle, and this is what I got:
Tloista gather the expectation from Finland hopes sari
Good enough for me.  :)

  
"Many  greetings from Germany!"


I didn't think to take scans of the three postcards I sent through Postcrossing, but the Japanese recipient of this one posted it for me.  I didn't have any postcards on hand, so I made this one myself with markers and a piece of cardstock.
She said to me "Thank you for a wonderful handmade card! I am glad that the first card which I receive is sent by you! I value it."
 That's really cool.
Postcard's quote is from Max Dubinsky's post, "Compelled To Be The Reason You Say No" on his blog, Make it Mad

Postage to other countries costs a lot more than the 44 cent postage to South Carolina.  75 cents to Canada, 79 cents to Mexico, and 98 cents to anywhere else.  I only have the 44 cents Forever stamps right now, so I had to slap on 3 of them to cover the 98 cents and waste the leftover 34 to send my postcards to Japan, China, and the Netherlands.  It's worth it, though.  Who doesn't like getting happy mail in the mailbox?  And, seeing that it's from a perfect stranger in another country (or state) is thrilling.  I do think I'll be sticking to handmade cards to compensate for postage.  And, I need to get some smaller increment postage stamps really soon.

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Maybe someday you'll visit all the places you received postcards from :)

    And i love that yellow skirt. If only I could afford it!

    P.S. I wish i would have known you when we lived in the same dorm...let me know if you find your way back to Bryan this spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Linja that's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your handmade card! You should open up an Etsy shop and sell cards to pay for postage ;)I totally love that you're copying me lol, I feel so flattered :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.