Quantcast

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Eric Whitacre and his beautiful music

I was in the Bryan College Spring Chorale when I was first introduced to Eric Whitacre's art.  Dr. D handed us printed lyrics sheets, and he pressed play on his boom box.  He wanted us to hear "Sleep" before we began to work on it for our later concert.

We sat very still.  I remember scanning the page in my hands for the words but, after a while, I closed my eyes and just listened.  The sounds I heard melted with the sunshine pouring in through the room's large windows that day and spun magic that left us all breathless when we opened our eyes as the music stopped and we were brought back to supposed reality.

Performing that song was some milestone in my vocal development.  The music and the lyrics together glisten to beautifully every time I listen to them and every time I sing them.  They grab my guts and send my soul somewhere else.  I had never felt that about something that I sang before.  I've played my violin with orchestras and ensembles before, and I have been a part of great and beautiful things.  Instrumental pieces have moved me to tears before.  But these are our voices.  In Bryan's chorale, these were the voices of the people I love.  In Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir 2.0, these are the voices of people who long for excellent art, who long to be a part of something beautiful.

God is good.



You can see my name in the right column Alto 1 section.  It starts rolling at 6:57.
That's pretty cool.

Want more exquisite poetry?  Check out this list of choral pieces.  "A Boy and a Girl" is my other absolute favorite.  It makes me want to cry.  Always.  (3:00-3:10, especially)

P.s.  I just found my face on the video!  1:00-1:07!


Cool beans!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness... Amazing. That's the only word that comes to mind. Stunning. Okay, so that's two words. And yay for finding your face! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.