Thursday, May 2, 2013

New Obsession: Pentatonix

It's not a very long story, but it takes a second...

I'm sure you've heard last year's (two!) Grammy Award(s) winning song "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye, featuring Kimbra.  I loved it the second I heard it.  I loved Walk Off The Earth's version, and when Gotye Music put together an orchestra of tons of the covers and parodies of "Somebody" that had accumulated on YouTube, I was thrilled.  (It's totally worth a listen if you haven't heard it already.)



Near the end of that video, the collection of covers video, that's when I heard Pentatonix for the first time.  They sounded beautiful and different even among the hundreds of other covers.  I dug through the list of voices included in the collection video (not an easy task), and I found their name.  From there I listened to the full version of their "Somebody" cover.  I remember also checking out their "Carol of the Bells" cover and being mesmerized.  Really, I'm sure you've heard a Capella versions of the song, but never like this.

(Looking at the email I sent to Caleb about the songs, I saw that I also joked that if I weren't dating him, I'd totally have a crush on the girl, Kirstie and that I totally love watching each of these 5 perform.  They are so absorbed and passionate, and it's so obvious to see how much they are enjoying their music.  Ah!  It's exhilarating!)

Pentatonix has been in action for a while, but just today, Eric Whitacre posted on Facebook the link to their new video "Evolution of Music."  While hanging around their YouTube channel and their Wikipedia page Today, For Hours... I discovered new favorites!  And did you know?  These guys won the third season of The Sing-Off!  The second video here are from that competition.







Do you like them, too?  I'm wigging out over these guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.