Quantcast

Friday, April 25, 2014

My New Petunias

As part of my Administrative Professionals Day spoilings, my boss gave me some deep purple, potted petunias.  Now I love me some living green, I haven't had to care for flowers in a very long time, maybe not ever.  These petunias, despite their sturdy color, seem so delicate and fragile to me.  The blooms are so flimsy and velvety, I'm really worried that I'm going to hurt them.  I don't want to hurt them, of course, so if you have any tips and tricks, shout them out in the comments below!

dark purple petunias

Here's what I've learned so far:

Petunias love sunshine, and they do best when they get 6-8 of bright sun a day.  A day!  I have a back porch that doesn't get that much direct sunlight, but I think it's going to have to do, poor fellas.  I have a dresser that is in front of a great, bit window, but last time I brought a plant in to sit on the dresser, I consistently forgot to open the blinds!

When petunia blooms begin to wilt, they need to be deadheaded.  This means the flowers need to be snipped, pinched, or cut off (below the stem?).  I didn't even know this was a thing until my friend at work told me!  They should be trimmed when the stems become long and spindly, too.

Watering once a week should be fine, but I shouldn't water the petunias unless the top of their soil is dry.  Moisture problems will arise if I water more often than they need it.  Their current pot has no holes in it, which I believe is a real problem...

Petunias are surprisingly fragrant!  I haven't been around them very much, and whenever I walk by them, it smells like a plant nursery!  I love it!

When taking care of a petunia properly, it will bloom all through the summer!  What a beautiful challenge!

--------------------------------------------

indoor potted spider plant
This is Ricky, my office plant.
 I'm excited to watch over my little plant, and I really hope I don't kill it.  My family has had house plants for as long as I remember, and we've had lots fall to a brown and woody grave.  I have a spider plant in my office that I inherited from my dad, and I have lots more green leafy plants in the foster care of my mom, but I'm worried about how the delicate petunias will fare in our small apartment.

By the way, I usually name my special plants.  My office spider plant is Ricky.  Orion and Cassiopa were college plants.  Survivor was a bean plant I grew when first coming to Georgia.  Any idea what we should call the petunias?  Do you have special plants?

4 comments:

  1. I think you should name it Dursley. And I know you are a Harry Potter fan so I hope you get why. Admittedly, it's not exactly "delicate" sounding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I love Harry Potter! I didn't even think of Petunia Dursley until you mentioned her!

      Delete
  2. I name my plants! I used to have 2 cacti named Ferdinand and Steve. My cats managed to eat Steve, but Ferdinand is still alive and well. He lives very happily in his teacup. I think I might get a succulent or something for my desk. Maybe since my cats won't get at it, I could be a little daring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one! What about other things? Caleb brought home a new computer from work, and I asked what he was going to name it. Caleb will look at me strange and flatly say, "I don't name things." I named the computer for him. Its name is Spock.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.