Quantcast

Friday, April 29, 2016

Recommended with Sukiyaki

Sukiyaki recipe recommendation

I'll stop you right there.  No, this is not what authentic sukiyaki looks like.  Sukiyaki is a Japanese dish prepared similarly to a hot pot, and I'm 99% sure it isn't usually paired with rice.  It does, however, go well with rice, so that's how I built my dinner when making sukiyaki for the first time.  It was so delicious with rice, in fact, I'll probably always include rice in the meal!  So yeah, I know, this isn't the real deal, but the recipe I got for the sukiyaki meat and vegetables is legitimate, and I highly recommend it!

I will say, the first time I made sukiyaki, I made it by the book and followed all the ratios exactly (but I had run out of mirin, so I had to use my expensive sake instead 😭).  It came out quite salty and quite sweet, so my second time making the recipe, I toned down the soy sauce and sugar, and I enjoyed it better.  I'm still looking for the best blend to suit my tastes, but don't let that dissuade you.  The flavors are strong, but they are also good.

Sukiyaki is traditionally prepared over a portable stove at the table with everyone around the table dipping and adding to it and eating from the pot all together.  Thankfully, Chef Marc describes how you can still cook sukiyaki without a portable stove.  I made mine on the stovetop, and it turned out just fine.  I like using a round steak cut for the meat and for the vegetables, I use two different kinds of mushrooms (shimeji and enoki), white onions cut lengthwise, the whites of leeks cut crosswise, the whites of green onions cut into 2-inch sections, and canned bamboo shoots.

I have no problem with chopping veggies for 15 minutes or so, but slicing the pound of beef I use has given me serious trouble.  I've permanently delegated that task to Caleb, but before I did, I used my carving knife on the frozen beef and sliced off very thin slivers for forty minutes, which is why I won't be doing it again.  It might be worth it to ask if your butcher can slice the meat for you at the market.

Adding lots of vegetables help to bulk up the meal, and again I know it's not authentic, but everything goes so nicely with white sticky rice.  It mellows out the flavors so well.  Both times I've made this, it's produced a lot of food, and it ends up being pretty cheap per serving.  Yay for budget-friendly, yet exciting dinners!  Let me know if you try it!  (Here's the recipe to the link again.)

Recommended with sukiyaki...

Did you know that hearing and tasting what you see is a thing for some people???


I just discovered Atlas Obscura's website, and I think everyone should know about it!  Check out the hidden secrets of your area or the city you're visiting on your next vacation.  Turns out there's a hidden alternate universe here in Atlanta right underneath my favorite ice cream shop!

I ran with a small dream and submitted an application to Anthropologie earlier this month (and got a job offer!), which got me more curious about the company's inner workings.  Check out this detailing of the Anthro store aesthetic and these 18 facts.

I've never had it before, but I think this "New Orleans" coffee drink is worth getting super coffee snobby for.   I read about it on Cup of Jo, and it sounds like such a wonderful cup!  Have you tried it?  Is it worth it?

By the way, who knew there were so many different ways to prepare coffee?  Before seeing this list of brewing guides, I only knew about regular coffee pots (which aren't even mentioned in the list), the Chemex, French press, and pour over cups.  From what I can see, I think I would really like coffee made from a Hario Nel.

I met a very cool cat this month (I literally mean a cat), which makes me really wish my husband weren't allergic.  To satiate my new and unexpected cat love, I've found this new Adventure Cats website!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.