Quantcast

Friday, November 9, 2018

Recommended reads

Happy Friday, friends!  Here are a few things I've been digging lately.

golden cocoa via the kitchn

Golden cocoa (haldi doodh from India) :

I first heard about golden cocoa from Local Milk.  It sounded really strange, but I like trying new things and I've been dipping my toe into herbalism this year, so why not go for it?  (Turmeric's supposed to be an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.)

I'm pretty flexible with my recipes at home, so I guessed at my measurementswhile adding the ingredients I had on hand.  After taking a peek at Wooden Spoon Herb's powder recipe, I decided to add some ginger and cinnamon to my cup, along with the cocoa, turmeric, butter, and milk (no ashwagandha).

My first attempt was best described as sludgy, but it wasn't bad.  Later I adjusted my ratio of powders to milk, and then at work I got to try it with almond milk (a mix of sweetened and unsweetened almond milk).  That's where I found my sweet spot.

It's not for everyone, but I enjoy the earthiness, the savory and calming heaviness of the drink, and the process of building the drink and whisking it with my matcha whisk.  Also, I absolutely love butter and pretty much anything that contains it, so I was already predisposed to like this thing.

Have you tried golden cocoa?  Do you think you will?  What warm things have you been gravitating toward since the weathers become colder?

And some extra reading for your weekend...

Just interesting

Social issues

Design inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.