Quantcast

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

New Obsession: John William Waterhouse

(It's a refreshment to not write about Korea for a while.)

While I've seen his paintings before, I never looked into them much until today.  Now, I'd like to share some of my favorite (sans nudity) John William Waterhouse paintings!

The Tempest 1916
Lamia [on her knees] 1905
It's just... beautiful.  Full.  I don't know how to describe it well.  I love mythology, Greek, Arthurian, and the others, and Waterhouse depicts the scenes so richly.  There's a romance to his work.  It's almost heady.  I love it.

Nymphs finding the head of Orpheus [study] 1900
Boreas 1902
I also love Edmund Blair Leighton.  My favorites are one, two, and three.

2 comments:

  1. I've always liked "Godspeed" by Leighton myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gotta love the mustache in 'two'!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.