Quantcast

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The best Instagram tips I've found

Last month, I stumbled across Me + Orla on Instagram.  As simple as many of the photos are, I found the feed enchanting.  Neutral colors, simple settings, slow living, it all seems like my kind of perfection captured on film (well, technically on a screen, but still).  Just take a look!

Not only are the pictures beautiful, but I learned that the Instagramer made it a goal of hers to become excellent at it, which I highly respect.  She's since accomplished that goal, and she's sharing all of her tips she learned from experience on her blog.  I spent hours reading through everything that first night I found her, and I am now a die hard fan of Sara Tasker, the artist and writer behind the lovely photographs.

How to win at Instagram from Me & Orla

I have to say, Sara's advice for getting better at Instagram doesn't involve any of the flimsy "The one little thing that will brings you thousands of followers!" tips you see bouncing around the internet.  Sara is legit, and all I've seen her share is completely practical and easy to understand.  For example, her main suggestion for building a popular Instagram is to post truly excellent photography.  (Duh, why didn't I think of that?)  Followers and likes will come if you do good work.  Of course, there's more to building a tribe, but that's her main focus, and it just strikes me as genuine.  It's not sneaky, it's not necessarily difficult, but it's also not necessarily easy.  It's something to have to work for, but if you do put in the work, you will reap the reward.

Anway, I could fawn over this woman for ages, but I would rather you read up about what she says.  Even if you're not into Instagram, photography, or social media, Sara takes beautiful pictures, and you deserve some eye candy for your day.

First, check out Sara's collection of serious Instagram tips.
Then, if you're curious about her backstory, read about how she got to where she is now.
Finally, if I've converted you into a total fan girl like me, check out this post where Sara lists out a few other avenues where she's been able to write and speak.  Her romantic interview about living in the English countryside made me want to hightail it outside of the city.

The best Instagram tips you'll find

It's a somewhat secret wish of mine to be famous (I care only a little as to how, but I could work with being Insta-famous), but I also care about the art I produce, even if it's not displayed in a gallery.  For about a month and a half or so, I've started taking my own Instagram more seriously, and it's been interesting to see how my approach has changed since reading about Sara's story and process.  After going through all her blog posts, I signed up for the free Insta-Retreat workshop to get even more.  The Insta-Retreat is emailed out as a short e-book, and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to take their Instagram to the next level.  Prepare to be challenged and brought to the edge of your preconceptions and your comfort zone.  You won't regret it.

Okay, last thing, you've got to check out Sara's hilarious alternate Instagram account.  I promise it's worth a look.

P.s. All pictures in this post are screenshots of the Me & Orla Instagram page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.