Quantcast

Sunday, November 20, 2011

What the kiddos say

My second graders had a test on changes in states of matter.  Here's Danny's answer for the question "How can you change the size and shape of a solid?"
We can change solid. We can cut.
We can change solid.  We can fold.
We can change solid.  We can rip.
We can change solid.  We can throw into the volcano.

This kid is going places, just hopefully not to the ward for pyromania.
 ---------------------------------------------

Another one of my classes, my fourth grade National Geographic class, had a test on the Indonesian Rainforest. This was our second test over the material and, instead of the standard matching, multiple choice, or what have you, I decided to make this an essay test.  I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner.  What I get back on their test papers is blog post gold!


Question #4 asked them to describe a global problem and a solution.  A couple wrote about global warming, but most of them wrote about the conflict between North and South Korea.  I love talking with the students about this issue.  Everyone has an opinion, and everyone is passionate about it.  Here's what some of them said.



The problem was a 38° line.  The North Korea want to get a South Korea too.  And a North Korea person didn't have enough food for eat.  So South Korea and North Korea will be a friend, and we give a food for them.  Then we can will be a reunification.

-Sally
The North Korea and South Korea is in DMZ is problem, because the North Korea and South Korea were one country, if the family lived another country in North Korea and South Korea they can't meet every day so it is very sad thing.  We need to do not hate each other, have think about we are one country and talk with North Korea.  And we can reunification.
-Julie


Problem is North and South is cut two countrys.  We can kick out Kim-Jung-Il and made one country.  And we can destroyed a DMZ and reunification.

-Fire

I really love getting to know people's minds.  I never stopped to think how much I would get to do that as a teacher.  I have my own kind of adventure exploring the uncharted territory of my students' ideas,  passions, and interests.  I honestly find it quite fascinating, and I always jump on any opportunity to get away from the curriculum and into something they genuinely care about.

 ---------------------------------------------

Here's the last story for the day.


My science class has started learning about force e.g. pushing and pulling.  This picture was an example of one of those, and the students correctly answered "Pulling."  Then I said, "And who can me tell which flag this is?"
Without any hesitation whatsoever, Kelly boldly shouted, "New York!"
"No, honey, no.  But good try.  Very good try."