Quantcast

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Elegance Class Learns About Jobs

My preschool class just finished learning about communities.  Our new vocabulary included firefighter, restaurant, cashier, and park.  We learned about how different people help us.  One of our activity pages asked what certain people use for their jobs.

The firefighter has a _________ and _________.  (hose and ladder!)
The doctor has a _________.  (stethoscope!)
The police officer has a _________.  (gun?)

I got to that last question and thought, "The police officer has a gun?  That's not very child friendly."  But Yoo-Jin and Sein trucked right along with "The police officer has a badge!"
"Ahhh, yes.  Yes, children.  Police officers help us and don't shoot at us.  Especially here in Korea where they don't carry guns."
I laughed at myself.  Yep, this was just a funny quirk of the culture difference I wanted to share.

One of our last activities was a career role play followed up by the question: What do you want to be when you grow up?

I'd forgotten for a long time, but I remember now that I had wanted to be an artist when I grew up.
Here's what Elegance Class wants to be.

Judy
"I want to be a nurse, because I want to help sick people."

 
Sein
"I want to be an artist, because I like drawing."

 Ruby
"I want to be a mother, because I don't like [the] other jobs."

Eva
I want to be a police officer, because I like police officer."

Yoo-Jin
"I want to be a doctor, because my mother is a doctor."
(The day before, Yoo-Jin had wanted to be a baker.)

Sophia
"I want to be an artist, because I like drawing."

Ryan
"I want to be a monkey, because I like monkey."
Ryan later said he wanted to be a doctor because his father is a doctor, but I still like his first idea.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cute kids!

    Deep down, I think we all want to be monkeys because we all like monkey.

    That kid is wise beyond his years.

    Great stuff as always.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.