Quantcast

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Observing Lent 2014

I had never observed Lent until I was in Korea and attending Jubilee Church during the spring of 2012.  I am Protestant, and Lent always seemed like a strange Catholic ritual, but thanks to Jubilee, I have such a greater appreciation for it.

If one is truly devoted to something, something you know is good, it makes sense to develop a thirst and a need for it (e.g. exercising, drinking water, learning).  In my spiritual journey, this constant desire for God is something I've rarely had.  As I observe Lent, I will fast from something I love and feel that I need in order to turn my heart to what I should love and truly need, but participating in Lent last time didn't automatically made me a better Christian (or whatever you'd call it), and this will always be my struggle.  In fact, when I fasted from social media in 2012, I just found other time sucks to occupy myself with.

This time, I'm going to try something different.  In addition to cutting out social media, I'm going to be putting in reading.  I'm going to start reading through the Bible chronologically, I might read some of the Apocrypha as part of my 101 challenge, and I have some other books in my house I've been picking at slowly.  Ah, and considering that Caleb will be spending a lot of time working on a big data project of his this month, there will be many quiet hours at the apartment that will be perfect for reading.

This will also be an excellent time to go deeper into prayer.  I've had a few real life glimpses of what power lies behind prayer, and I am genuinely excited by the wild and strange potential there.  The crazy thing is, it's accessible.  I've just realized over the last couple years that prayer is a gift but also a skill, and it's a skill that you can learn to wield in great ways.  Prayer is a skill that I want to learn, and I am so dang excited to see what is going to happen.

So, from yesterday to April 17th, no Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Tumblr, or Instagram.  Or blogging.  No reading blogs.  Writing might happen, but I've got a lot of posts scheduled for the next few weeks, so I'll be ready if I need to stay away from blogging entirely, but it might be nice to check in and write every once in a while.

What do you think about all this?  Are you observing Lent?  Do you think all of this is weird?
I love talking about religion of all kinds, and I'd love to talk to you about your thoughts.  Email me if you like!

Bonus: a lighthearted list of suggestions of what you can give up for Lent.  I lol'ed out loud!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.