Quantcast

Monday, May 12, 2014

My 3 Spring Bollywood Movies

I made sure to include Bollywood movies in my 101 in 1,001 challenge, because I know they make me happy.  The colors, the drama, the nonsensical plot developments, and the pretty people.  The first Bollywood film I ever saw, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, hooked me.  I later watched a couple on YouTube on my own, saw Slumdog Millionaire, a friend introduced me to Monsoon Wedding, and then in Korea I found a Bollywood friend who took me back to the legitimate Bollywood scene once more.

Thanks to Netflix, I was able to watch these three films commercial free!  (Thanks, Netflix!)

Band Baaja Baaraat (Band, Horns, and Revelry)

A guy and a girl become business partners in wedding planning!  This means that you get to see loads of Indian weddings in this movie, which is one reason why I liked it so much.  Another is how close and personal you get with some of the more intimate details of India like the back alleys and some of the wedding traditions.  I found the plot progression to be less melodramatic, too, which makes it an excellent entry Bollywood film for people who are interested.

ABCD: Anybody Can Dance

It's got the famous Prabhu Deva!  It's like Step Up, Indian-style.  No really, guys drooling over hot girls? Check.  People getting their lives together through the world of dance?  Check.  The classically trained chick joining the tough crowd in hip hop?  Check.  Sick moves that make you want to do something with your life?  Check.  Three Prabhu Deva killer dance solos?  Oh, well that one you can only get here.  Bonus: a ridiculous slow clap scene.

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (A Match Made By God)

This one is so sweet, guys.  Makes you believe true, real, pure love exists.  I recommend you not watch this one when you're unhappy in a romantic relationship, because it will just make you want to jump into this movie and wish for what the characters have.  Funny, lighthearted, yet thoughtful and sigh-worthy.   Also, if you liked the first recommendation up top, this one here starts the same actress, Anushka Sharma, but it's Shahrukh Khan who's my favorite in this movie.  His character is the most beautiful and selfless man in love I've ever seen.

 Have you seen anything from Bollywood?  Any favorites?  Anything you'd like to see?  Come over and we can watch some together and drink chai!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.