Quantcast

Friday, January 30, 2015

Recommended Links for the Human Rights Lovers

I'm keeping my link list short this week, because I want what I share to have the emphasis it deserves.  I know a lot of you care about people like I do, so I've collected some great stories and projects that work to make things better for the world.  By the way, I'm thinking about taking this idea and running with it in some direction or another, so let me know what you think!

Must see articles for human rights lovers
photo by Josefa Holland-Merten, via Unsplash


Check out the amazing impact K-Drama is having in North Korea.

This week, the BBC News hour featured The Survivors Ink Project in America.  Women who have been trafficked, abused, and branded are given the chance to cover their brands, scars, and "property of" tattoos with new signs of healing and freedom. What an awesome project.

I just heard of an online show that took 3 Norwegian teens to sweatshops in Cambodia to show them how their clothes were made.  Here's the powerful trailer.  I'm really interested to watch the entire series, but I know it's going to be hard to stomach.  Would you watch it?

Finally, one more thing about North Korea.  I recently learned of Michael Malice, an author who's done significant amounts of research on North Korea for his book, Dear Reader.  He wrote this great piece about why the world should see The Interview, and I want you to read it.  Also, if you haven't already, check out The Interview on Netflix.  It's on my docket for this weekend.  When you see it (or if you already have), I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section! 

Have anything to add to the list?  Thoughts on the pieces above?  Want to spread awareness?  Commend below and share this post with others.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I absolutely love the Survivor Ink Project. That is such a beautiful way to take your talents and give back something positive to our fellow human beings. There's another project similar to that where a doctor will remove gang tattoos for free so that the ex-members can live and peace and get jobs, etc. I simply love this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.