I haven't participated much in New Year resolutions, but that's mainly because I keep a running list of challenges I'm always trying to complete. I'm currently about a third through my second 101 challenge, which is a list of 101 smaller challenges that I try to finish in 1,001 days. I did this once before and had a blast, so I'm thinking this is going to be a forever thing for me. They help me stay on track with things I care about, like reading and personal growth.
I'm happy to report that I've already completed 56% of my 101 challenges, and I think I will be able to complete at least 22 more of my goals before time runs out this September! I had a lot of my time taken by work this year, and I didn't get to read half as much as I did the previous year, but I ended up accomplishing a lot more than I thought I would. Here's a quick recap of some of the highlights.
- I crossed off challenge #8 when Caleb and I took our first just-us camping trip this summer.
- Challenge #14 (bring plants into our home) is kind of a joke now. We have 11 plants in our apartment and two vases with extra cuttings. It's awesome.
- Journaling every day for #25 hasn't happened, but I'm going to be picking it back up and finishing strong.
- Challenge #27 dictates that I write letters. Instead of sending out Christmas cards to everyone this year, I hand wrote just a couple letters to family I haven't seen in a long time. It felt very sweet.
- Blogging 4 times per month hasn't happened this year, either, but I'm going to do better with challenge #35 this year.
- Learning something new each year for #36 has found a very obvious and super fun theme: dance. In 2014 I picked up belly dance, in 2015 we started learning West Coast Swing, and in 2016, I want to learn the shuffle!
- I completed challenge #46 just this week! We finally have wedding pictures displayed in our home!
- This year was the year of lipstick for me. After trying many different kinds, I took a trip to Sephora, and they helped me find a beautiful berry shade from Sephora that feels very bold for me, but I like it. #49 is finished!
- #50 and 51 (exercising consistently and drinking water consistently) were poorly planned, I think. Past me said I needed to do those things for 6 months straight! It's been a hard goal to reach considering I'm a newbie at these things, but I'm now one month in on the water-drinking part, thanks to delicious hot tea.
- I settled in with a group of lovely girls from church this year. It's hard to make friends as an adult, but I'm glad that #68 and #70 were both a part of my challenge list.
Caleb and I eaten so much Japanese ramen and made so much Korean food at home since the creation of this list. Challenges #74 and #77 seem so trite now!
- When my parents moved in June, it forced me to clean up everything leftover from my wedding (#89) and everything that had been in my room (#88). The circumstances were bittersweet, but I'm really glad I have those things done now.
And there you have it! I can't believe I only have 270 more days to try and finish the rest. I think that I'm already on track to beat my record from my first 101 challenge, but I hope I'll be able to get a lot closer to completing all the challenges this time. I'm also really glad that I've kept with this. I'm competitive by nature, and even if I'm competing against the clock or competing against myself, it helps me get more done, which I love. Onward and upward!
What do you hope to accomplish in 2016? Have you ever done a similar challenge? Do you have any suggestions I could add to my next list?