Quantcast

Friday, September 26, 2014

Recommended with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

A while back when we were working really hard to save money, Caleb found a recipe for homemade teriyaki sauce.  It called for sake, but that wasn't in the budget, so he did some research and decided to use mirin instead.  Mirin is a rice wine similar to sake, and you can buy it at Asian markets and probably elsewhere, too, just not at the Howell Mill Kroger, we checked.  Anyway, this cheap version of the sauce is awesome, and we both love having it on our teriyaki chicken and rice.

(If you do have sake, just split the 4 tbs of mirin into 2 tbs of mirin and 2 tbs of sake.  You could also try subbing agave nectar in for the honey.  Let me know if you try it!)

Easy peasy Japanese-y Teriyaki Sauce!  |  Lindsay Eryn


To make some excellent teriyaki chicken, combine all the sauce ingredients and poor over thawed chicken thighs laid in a hot cast iron skillet.  Cook on medium high until the chicken is done and the sauce is thick.  Sometimes our chicken gets a little crispy on the edges.  We like it that way.

 Recommended with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce...

AAH!  Royal Dutch Airlines has an awesome new way to return your missing luggage! (via More Awesomer)

I found this girl's beautiful multimedia artwork, and I have to share!  Here's her Etsy store.

If you live near or are going to visit Atlanta, you have got to check out bartaco.  They have locations in Connecticut and New York, too!  Check out my review here for all the delicious details.

Check out this girl's social/fashion experiment.  She dressed up 4 different ways and posted her pics to OKCupid.  (via Yes and Yes)

Wanderlust Exposed.  I don't always like to admit it, but this Darling Magazine article is right.

So this girl crocheted her own wedding dress while riding the bus, it cost $30, and it's gorgeous!  She talked a bit more about her story here.

Beautiful underwater photography by Elena Kalis of her daughter, Sacha

4 comments:

  1. mmm this sounds so delicious!! i wish i was good at cooking/ had the patience to actually make anything ncie haha! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2014/09/win-lulu-guinness-lfw-tote-bag-filled.html xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe's a pretty good ratio of time required and delicious outcome. Just mix the sauce, poor it over chicken, and hang out until it's cooked through. If I'm not working on another dish during the waiting, I usually have my phone with my and browse Pinterest or do squats while I wait.

      Delete
  2. That crocheted wedding dress is so amazing. Good for her, being so thrifty and efficient with her commute and creative, all at the same time. I found that post with the girl who posted different photos on OKcupid interesting. One thing I would like to know is, what if she had make the same facial expressions for each look? I guess she matched her expressions to the stereotypical look, but what would've changed if she'd smiled with the goth look, or looked serious with the MPDG?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should do our own experiments to test the theory! :D
      Actually, no, I'm afraid of what messages I would get...

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.