Quantcast

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

7 Things New Puppy Owners Learn

My husband and I haven't even had our furry bundle of joy for a week yet, and we've gone through a whole lot more emotions than we expected.  Our pup Mako already knows how to sit, and he's slowly getting better with crate training and not crying when we leave, but boy has it been a whirlwind!  We've had to make some serious adjustments real fast and we've discovered a few surprises, too.


7 Things New Puppy Owners Learn

#1 The importance you place on a clean carpet
My husband has gotten very on edge every time the carpet's been messed, and I've taken the, "It's okay, we can clean it" approach.  Both of us, though, watch Mako like a hawk when he's just had something to eat or drink.  He sure keeps us on our toes!

#2 How to do every day things quickly
The dog just came in from going potty and you don't know how long you have until the next visit outside?  Better get these dishes done fast.  In fact, better not waste any free time doing free time stuff, because who knows when I'll have another chance to get the laundry done!  Go, go, go!

#3 Nap times are awesome
He's asleep!  I don't have to watch him!  I can go to the bathroom!  I can read my magazine in peace!  He's so cute when he sleeps!

#4 All those puppy obsessed people on Instagram had it right all along
It's really hard to pace myself on how many pictures I post in one day.

#5 Going green with grocery bags is no longer a priority
They're free poop bags!  How about we double bag the milk?  And the eggs?  And the vegetables?

#6 No more pets or children for a while!
Realizing that I'm going to have a little creature depending on me every day for the next 10-15 years is quite intimidating.  This new level of responsibility almost made me scared to sign the adoption contract!  Personally, I'm going to wait a bit until I bring in another small creature who needs me this much.  It's so much pressure!

#7 The extra time, money, and effort is worth it
We knew adopting a dog would require extreme patience, hard work, and a chunk of our paycheck.  We also knew that we would fall more and more in love with our crazy spaz each day.  It really is an investment.  Watching his careless jumps from the couch, how he reacts to us laughing at him, and how he cuddles up beside us has made just these five days totally worth it.
 
He's a hand full, but he really is the sweetest thing!  I'm so happy we have him in our lives, and I'm so happy we were able to give him a safe and fun home.  Puppy socialization classes start next Thursday!  Stay tuned for updates!

P.s.  Be sure to follow on Instagram for more Mako pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! If there is something you want me to respond to specifically, feel free to send me an email; I'd love to chat.